Friday, June 20, 2008

Schilling done?

(H/T to the ProJo SoxBlog, emphasis mine)

Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling, on this morning's edition of the WEEI radio show Dennis and Callahan, said that he will have shoulder surgery on Monday, ending his chances of pitching this season. The 41-year-old right-hander went on to say that "there's a decent chance that I have thrown my last pitch, forever."
There are lots of Yankee blogs chatting about this today. What I have seen a lot of, that I really don't like, is that people seem to be taking a twisted joy in knowing that Schilling is hurt and possibly done for his career. I enjoy watching the Sox lose as much as any Yankee fan, but I don't think I have ever cheered an injury. And I am not going to start now.

I'm a fan of the game, a fan of the team I grew up watching, a fan of the players who have made the most of their incredible skills. Cheering when a player, even on your most bitter rival, suffers a possible career ending injury is just so low, so weak, so cowardly, so... disgusting.

I might think Schilling is a pompous blowhard (as do others). I might not like his approach and tact on certain things. But, he's entitled to his views and opinions as much as I am. He's incredibly generous and charitable. I will not cheer his injury.

3 comments:

tHeMARksMiTh said...

I like Schilling as well. It seems so sad that we're going to lose schilling and Smoltz in the same season.

Jason @ IIATMS said...

I don't like particularly Schilling, but I won't cheer that he's possibly done due to an injury.

I'd rather see guys retire any other way besides via injury. Even cuddly guys like Schilling.

Unknown said...

Have to admit...and it probably makes me a bad person...but when I read this news the first thing that went through my head was "Ding dong, the witch is dead...which old witch? The wicked witch! Ding dong, the wicked witch is deaaaad!" I never cheer for injury, so this is a completely atypical reaction that even shocked me (to be fair, it *was* a pre-existing condition, so it wasn't like Red Sox fans who cheer when a Yankee player gets HBP and has to leave the game).

Oh, and it's not because he's a Red Sox pitcher, it's really only because he is such a major league dick...